In order to have a better view of Santiago de Compostela’s cathedral, visit the overlook at Monte do Gozo
Choose the Best Travel Season
Even though people walk the Way of St. James so as to arrive there on July 25th (on the apostle’s festivity), we recommend doing it in spring, when there are fewer tourists and there’s a milder climate.
Train Before Traveling
The Way of St. James is not just any walk, so train accordingly before taking this route. Start by climbing up the stairs instead of taking the lift.
Visit a National Park on Horseback
Visit Cape Polonio National Park by taking a horseback excursion.
Photograph Mural Paintings
You’ll find mural paintings in different places near Cape Polonio, so prepare your camera and take a walking tour.
Choose the Best Travel Season
Find the best landscapes and less tourists in winter. In Uruguay, winter means July and August.
Prepare Your Camera
Pack your camera when you travel to Cape Polonio because the photos you can take of the beach and dunes are awesome.
Be a Solidary Traveler
Be conscious of the fishing activity in Cape Polonio and of the frequent visits of sea lions in the area.
Take an Aquatic Tour
Boat tours around Cape Polonio depart from the Lighthouse and they take you to visit every corner of this destination.
Surf and Enjoy
If you want to surf, Cape Polonio is the right place for you. They have equipment rental both in high and low season.
Unpolluted Cape Polonio
In the town of Cape Polonio entry of private vehicles is not allowed in order to preserve the environment’s purity.
Historic Origins of Cape Polonio
Joseph Polloni’s shipwreck inspired the name of Polonio.
Sun exposure at the beach is part of the fun. Apply biodegradable sunscreen with 50SPF.
Dining in Palenque
When you dine at the restaurants located on the way to Palenque, try the local specialty: Chaya soup, a fine example of the Mayan culinary inheritance.
Norway in the Equinox
In Norway, you can see the northern lights practically every day, so travel to this destination any time of the year but keep in mind that it’s nicer during or close to the equinox.
Keep Warm in Norway
Wear warm clothes when you go to see the northern lights. It’s better to take some layers off than being cold.
Photograph the Northern Lights
Take a souvenir of the northern lights. If you can, get a camera that allows you to adapt the exposure time so that you let a lot of light in. Also, get a tripod, even a small one.
Learn Something New
Oaxaca is also known as the gastronomical capital of Mexico, so take a 1-day cooking class with the locals and learn how to prepare delicious recipes.
Take your camera to Hierve el Agua because the landscapes you’ll find there are breathtaking.
Enjoy a Good Swim
Water in Hierve el Agua is warm enough to enjoy a good swim.
Get a Ride
It’s not easy to get to Hierve el Agua on your own, so reserve a tour in advance.
Wear comfortable shoes and practice Eco touristic activities in Hierve el Agua, including hiking and bike tours.
Make a Toast with Mezcal
At shops where they sell mezcal they’ll offer you tastings of its different flavors, but take into account that this beverage has an alcohol content of 60º.
Tipping in Uruguay
There’s no law that forces clients to tip in Uruguay; however, it’s customary to leave a 10% tip in restaurants, bars, and taxis, as well as tipping bell boys and ushers.
The Popularity of St. James
The Way of St. James was very popular until the 16th century. Yet, starting the early 17th century fewer pilgrims walked the route.
The Game of the Goose
They say that the Game of the Goose was invented by the medieval constructors guilds on their pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.
Evita in Compostela
At the Alameda Park in Santiago de Compostela you’ll find a 22m tall araucaria tree donated by Eva Peron in 1947. It’s known as “La Perona”.
Moving Sand Dunes
Sand dunes are a great attraction in Cape Polonio. Because of the wind, they move approximately 16 feet per year from southeast to northeast.
National Protected Area
On July 20th 2009 Cape Polonio was declared National Park and it became a protected area.
Fishing and Craftwork
Most people in Cape Polonio are dedicated to fishing and craftwork. Others work at the lighthouse.
Formation of the Northern Lights
The Northern Lights are formed by particles that come from the Sun and interact with the gases found in the atmosphere creating a ring around the magnetic poles and producing green and sometimes red lights.
A Journey to Space
In other planets like Jupiter and Saturn you can also find northern lights.
Oaxaca is the Mexican state with the most varied ethnic and linguistic diversity.
Two of the most famous Mexican presidents, Benito Juarez and Porfirio Diaz, were born in Oaxaca.
Craftworks from Oaxaca
Black clay is not the only thing that’s popular from Oaxaca. Alebrijes (wooden fantastical figures) and indigenous textiles are also well known.
Cool Petrified Cascades
The petrified cascades of Hierve el Agua formed thousands of years ago due to the calcium carbonate saturated water that scurried over the cliffs.
From Turkey to Mexico
In Turkey there’s a similar attraction to the waterfalls of Hierve el Agua. It’s known as Pamukkale.
They say that the waterfalls of Hierve el Agua were sacred to the Zapotec culture.
Summer in Montevideo
Uruguay’s capital city, Montevideo, is the country’s favorite summer destination. Nearly 60% of the population plans a vacation in this city where they can enjoy both an urban and a beach vacation.
1. Book any of our exciting 5-7 Day Safari Tours for 4 persons or more (or a tailor made package for more than 5 days and 4 persons or more) and receive an exciting gift hamper containing
2. A must read Book about extraordinary true stories from ordinary visitors to the Kruger National Park. One of the best selling books about Kruger National Park. Cameron Ewart-Smith, the former editor of Getaway writes "If you only read one book about Kruger, this is it. "The stories are infectious...... I simply couldn't put it down"
3. Also included in the Gift Hamper is a Red Africa Safaris Cap as well as an unique African arm Bracelet made from beads that are handmade locally by African people.
1. Make a reservation with us and pay 20% of the total package cost in advance.
2. On the tour's first day, arrive at the office at 8:30 am to start activities (during holiday season it's best to arrive earlier).
3. Subject to availability.
4. You have to travel to Ciudad Valles (it's a 4 hour drive from San Luis Potosi, the capital city).
5. The package doesn't include dinners, alcoholic drinks, towels for tours, taxis, transportation to and from your departure site.
6. The packages include: Accommodation (depends on the package), breakfast (per night, except for Hotel Rex), 1 meal per activity, 1 snack per activity, required equipment, travel insurance, local transportaition to the activities departing from Ciudad Valles, entrance fees, technical guides.
7. After making your deposit, you have to fill in a form to complete the reservation, without any of these requirements the reservation will not be completed.
We're your World Travel Guide with updated information about destinations, travel tips, benefits & discounts vouchers, photos, fun facts, maps and traveler reviews. DINKtravelers is an inclusive world of endless possibilities.